Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Little Things...

...Thursday

Pulling up roots e-dition



I suspect the Monarchs will be here soon. 


We've been having unseasonably warm weather instead of the El Nino that looked so promising. 
It's going to be hard watching the Mama's looking for milkweed to lay her eggs. Up until last winter, I had been raising Monarchs since 2012. You can read all about it HERE

I finally had to pull up all the milkweed.


It's quite a job having upwards to 100 plants & hoping you have enough leaves for all the critters, worrying about in-climate weather, birds, disease, and Ms Kitty "playing" with emerging butterflies. All of which has been a beautiful and amazing journey with these creatures. My head and heart had a tug of war and my head won. Nobody understands more than me how the Monarchs are on the decline due to the lack of milkweed, the host plant that a Mama Monarch lays her eggs and the critters eat till it's time to do their magic. The part where my head won is when our youngest son graduates college in 2 years, Frankie and I will be selling the house and moving away. Before that, we'll be doing quite a bit of work inside and out that will include workers coming and going, tarps, sandblasting, stucco work, and painting. Just add all that the list of worries if I had a butterfly garden. 
Furthermore, I know with all my heart that the new homeowners would never care or tend to the milkweed or the critters like me. If I kept everything, I'd have to walk away from this house worried about the well being of those tiny little miracles. I'm a worry wart, it's what I do. 
I just thought maybe this was an easier solution, watching them flit by on their journey to find other milkweed.
My heart is saying not much easier.





I did however document it all and have flash drives full of some of Mother Nature's most delicate creatures that I had a direct hand in releasing into the world.

Sharing over at Kim's 

Happy (butterfly) snapping!
xo
Kelly

27 comments:

  1. what an incredibly difficult decision! beautiful, beautiful pictures! {!}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was-but as I sit here writing the Santa Ana winds are blowing fierce and have been for days-and for once in four years I'm not stressing out about critters! Happy you popped in

      Delete
  2. Kelly, Greetings from Dubai and am really so happy to have found your blog and seeing your passion for butterflies...wow! I too love butterflies :) What a difficult decision it must have been. Sometime I wonder why is it that everyone cannot appreciate nature the way we do...but I guess we are all different at the end of the day. Definitely agree with you here that it's better your monarchs find a new place before you leave. Also I loved your shots! Have a great Thursday!

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shantana, so happy you found me and stopped by. I am a friend of Mother Earth for sure. Thank you for your sweet comment.

      Delete
  3. These are so pretty! Make me long for spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tamar and thank you-spring seems to think she's summer these past few weeks!

      Delete
  4. Oh Kelly, I'm so sorry you had to make such a difficult decision. Totally understand it though. Whenever I see a Monarch, I think of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol-I love these creatures to no end

      Delete
  5. Such a hard decision. I have always enjoyed your beautiful butterfly images and knowing how hard you have worked to help them along makes them even more special. Today's images are no exception, they are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle. It was a journey that at times saved my sanity.

      Delete
  6. I know this decision came with much thought and heartbreak. Well, done in all the years you were able to be a butterfly mama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful shots - we've had such a mild winter, I'm not even particularly longing for spring. But seeing these delicate blooms and these gorgeous creatures got me a bit more in the mood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our winter has been pretty mild too. Spring thinks she summer...were in trouble if she keeps thinking that!

      Delete
  8. You have done an amazing job with the Monarchs. But I totally get why you are doing what you are doing. At least you have control of the situation this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I couldn't put my tongue on it yesterday-control-I have control this way.

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry, Kelly. But I totally understand your decision! It's too bad we didn't connect earlier, I would have happily taken some of the plants off your hands. Milkweed plants are difficult to find at nurseries here in south TX. So thankful you have the memories to share with us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi June! You're in luck!!! I have a boat load of seeds!! They all came from my healthy, non pesticide plants. If you want them-I'll be happy to send them. I know A lot of monarchs end up in Tx. Email me your addy if you're interested.

      Delete
  10. So sorry, Kelly, such a difficult decision ...
    Gorgeous photos of these wonderful butterflies !
    Have a nice weekend,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia. It was a treasured experience

      Delete
  11. Oh I'm sorry Kelly to read about this decision, but I understand how difficult it is to let it go. Monarchs are so beautiful, and you've done a beautiful job of adding to their quality of life for a few years, and I know you've enjoyed it. You're so right, about new owners and possibly no interest. Enjoy all the pictures you've taken while you had them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly-I'll be sharing photos periodically

      Delete
  12. Such a dilemma to face ... I feel for you, Kelly! As you write, leaving the milk weed and the critters to new owners, who may not know how to care for them, or have time for that, might be even bigger worry to you, not knowing how they're doing. Luckily have the most beautiful pictures reminding of the miraculous moments with them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are some really stunning photos! The clarity is just amazing!
    PS - Thanks for the sweet comment about my baby!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the monarch butterfly....it truly is the little things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. Thank you for stopping by and commenting- :-)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. Your comments always put a smile on my face. Hope to see you again real soon.