Thursday, February 18, 2016

Little Things...

...Thursday

The Converse e-dition

I've loved Converse since I was nine. When it came time to go shoe shopping I use to beg my mom to buy me a pair. Her response was always, "No Kelly, they're boy shoes." My brother was lucky, he was a boy and had those classic black ones. What did I know anyway, it was the 70's, we were stationed in the Philippines, maybe girls weren't supposed to wear Converse, 
or maybe my mother just didn't know better. 


I couldn't stand it anymore. I HAD to have those shoes, so I devised I plan and enlisted my brother's help. He'd sneak his brown Sunday shoes downstairs and hide them on the side of the house early in the morning. After lunch, we'd say bye to our mom to go play. We'd quickly exchanged shoes, me in those black Converse and my brother (G-d love him) in his brown Sunday shoes. Did I mention we lived in the Philippines where it's 100 * and 100% humidity? We agreed on a time to meet back at the house, exchange our shoes again and no one would be the wiser. 
I remember prancing off feeling so incredibly cool. 
I also remember looking back at  my younger brother in his shorts, and brown Sunday shoes!
Eventually my mom found out and that was that.
Fast forward to adulthood. 
Back issues prevented me from wearing ANY type of flat shoe. 
That was until this last summer when I had my "girlie" surgery and now there is nothing is left to cause those issues.
Last week, my husband and I were out shoe shopping for his work when I spied them...


...Red Converse.

My husband knows the whole Converse story so he totally gets it. He said go for it. I tried a pair on for size and it was like the heavens opened up and sang a song for me. 
I felt like that nine year old little girl.
 Only now I'm 52 and feeling cool!


Now, if my mother was alive today, I'm pretty sure she'd have a good laugh and know how silly it was to have denied me these shoes. I wasn't an adult in the 70's, maybe people talked behind those mom's backs who let their little girls wear Converse.


I'm pretty sure if she was a mother of the new millennium, I'd for sure have had a pair or two.
So I bought a brown pair for good measure!


Happy (Converse) snapping!
xo
Kelly

Sharing over at Kim's

27 comments:

  1. love this story! you are VERY cool! and so are your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol-thank you so much. I've been wanting to tell this story for years-I'm glad I was finally able to tell it.

      Delete
  2. What a story!!
    I love converse shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tamar!! Me too-I've got my eye on the pink ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go converse!! Great story Kelly and ofcourse I love that you chose red!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I had a pair growing up, I know both my kids lived in them through their teens. Always in style and bravo for you to finally have your own pair(s). Love the clean shot of the brown pair - ad worthy. [and you need to get the pink ... do it do it do it!] :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, knowing me Nicki, Ill end up with a pink pair!

      Delete
  6. Now there you go!!!
    Never too old to be cool, for sure.
    I found a pair of purple ones last year. Was not going to get them, but they just kept calling my name, so....
    Glad you got your shoes, Kelly, and what a wonderful story about your brother. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that funny how some things just call to us!?

      Delete
  7. Wonderful and so happy that you finally own your very own red converse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story and those shoes totally rock

    mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Molly. It's a story that needed to be told!

      Delete
  9. This is the sweetest story. Your brother, totally saw it all. LOL

    I love Converse too but have never owned a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your Converse! I love the story too. How sweet of your brother to help you out. :)
    My daughter loves her black Converse. I had a pink pair of high top Converse way, way back when. I have been wondering if I should buy another pair...just not pink high tops. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother was 7 with a hear of gold for sure! Thanks Michelle and yes--to a new pair of Converse for you!

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you can have all the Converse you want now. My daughter is just like you. Converse are her go to shoes. She has been that way for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Kim-they're Classic Americana!

      Delete
  12. Those shoes are such fun! You want them in every color to go with your varied outfits...that's how fun they are! Beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If she had let you wear them, this wonderful story would not exist. Congrats to the girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right Roxi and I've never forgotten that!! Xo

      Delete
  14. They're both so pretty! Love your memories & can almost feel the happiness bobbling inside you :) Enjoy these gorgeous pairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love these shoes and the memories they carry.Thank you Nina

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. Your comments always put a smile on my face. Hope to see you again real soon.