Saturday, September 20, 2014

When the sound of click, click, clicking...

...isn't music to your ears.

 It may or may not have been happening already, but back in March is when I really started noticing the clicking noise my shoulder made at any given moment or any movement I made. It clicked during our fabulous cruise down to Mexico with a stopover in Catalina...

... through the incredible 10 days Jamie and Erik was visiting...


...in fact, I spent my whole summer clicking away and NOT in a fun camera kind of way. In constant pain and sleepless nights , I fell into a funk.
 My spirits had fallen too-I mean what could I possibly say or write that would have any relevance considering the state the world was in? 
So I stayed away from this place...
ALL
SUMMER
LONG...
...and then some. 
 I couldn't lift a coffee cup let alone my camera.
I did however, discover Newspaper Blackout Poetry by Austin Kleon

It allowed me to work through my funk...
... and at least I had found a creative outlet.
Rainy Day

Your story your way. Make it beautiful
School started, I went back to work-the clicking got worse, the pain got worse till one day, tired from waking up at 4 a.m., I had my breaking point from the pain and stiffness, I went to see my Doctor. 
She told me I had a frozen shoulder. Adhesive capsulitis to more exact.
Basically the tissue around the joints stiffen & scar tissue forms to the point where the range of motion is down to nothing. There are 3 stages to frozen shoulder... 
Freezing
Frozen
Thawing (the stage I'm in now)
I recently had an X-ray to make sure I didn't have arthritis-thankfully that came back negative. I had a round of Prednisone, a cortisone shot followed and I started physical therapy.
 All of which has gotten me 50% of my shoulder mobility back. 
Enough to be able to finally be pick up my camera and shoot this-

Because Frankie and I never got around to replanting the milkweed away from here over the summer,
A Mama Monarch laid eggs to which I just released about 25 butterflies...give or take a few. 
So the good news now is, instead of living with pain at a 7-10 range, it's more like a manageable 1/2 to 1-totally doable.
PT does bring me to tears as my shoulder is worked to tear away the scar tissue but I know there is an end in sight. It might be 3-6 months away-but none-the-less closer. I still jar my shoulder every now and again if I'm not watching what I'm doing-I can finally-even if briefly, sleep on my right side-that's a little like heaven and I sigh a deep sigh and fall into a beautiful slumber. If you follow me on IG, you know I still make newspaper blackouts. I think it will be fun to do a blog post on that so keep an eye out for that one.
My spirits have for the most part returned. I'm still unhappy over the world's state of affairs, and I hope what I have to say is important enough to want to keep blogging. I'm taking it as it comes feeling & going through what I need to.
Thank you all for the wonderful "welcome back" sentiments.
 I just love my on-line family both here and over on IG.

Happy (thawing out) Snapping!
xo
Kelly


8 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have found some relief and are on the road to recovery. I look forward to seeing you back more on the blog - not that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed visiting and following along in IG - but it just isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PT can be brutal, but so worth it in the end! I'm still trying to get my blogging groove back...sigh. And I think not taking your milkweed to plant somewhere else may just have been a blessing in disguise. In know my cats kept me going this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back. The shoulder thing sucks. I had the first stage of frozen shoulder in both shoulders. Thankfully the left one is much better now due to Personal Training and the right one is getting better. So glad you are getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to hear that you have found some relief from the pain, I know that life gets hard sometimes and when you add the physical pain to the equation, life becomes almost overwhelming. I am so glad you reached out to the Dr. and so glad that you are back to blogging and photography. Big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering where you've been here (knew you were still on IG).
    I am sorry about your shoulder, and I sure am glad that you're on the mend.
    Now you've got me wondering....my shoulder has been clicking for a couple of years now. No real bad pain though.
    Hope you're back to 100% soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to learn of your shoulder pain. It is frustrating when our bodies won't cooperate with what we want to do. Hopefully you are on the bend. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must have been a horrible pain and I just hope that you will be better soon to click happily away with your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dear sweet Kelly - I'm so glad to hear you are recovering. I know several who have suffered from frozen bits and I hope it lets go soon. Keep creating as your art is a therapy for both you and those who view it. I've missed being a part. You are an inspiration to all. Hugs from the east coast of Canada,
    Nicola

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. Your comments always put a smile on my face. Hope to see you again real soon.