Thursday, May 1, 2014

Photo-heart...

...connection

I'm linking up with Kat today over at Kat Eye Studio for an exercise I haven't done in quite some time. 
I vacillated back and forth 1/2 the day wondering if I should even share-
I guess you know how the story turns out!

April was a very good month-Frankie & I have been together 25 years and fly to where ever we go. But over spring break, we took our first ever road trip. The plan was to drive to the Grand Canyon and then over to Sedona for a sunrise balloon ride. We were having so much fun, we decided to make unplanned stops as well, really letting the journey guide us. We stopped and toured an old ghost town along the way and we drove on Rt.66 for part of the trip just to say we did.

Frankie knows and understands my need to stop and photograph anything and everything along the way! 
This shot epitomizes the fun we shared.

It's been 6 months since my mom passed away. I was expressing to my aunt, Micki, how I felt an almost desperate need to feel my mom's spirit. Her last days on earth were not pleasant. I'm guessing it's the last little vacation my mom took that she felt happy and was most likely already sick but neither she and certainly none of us knew.Well the stars and planets must have all been aligned because my aunt bestowed the most beautiful gift to me and told me of a place she took my mom the last time she had come visit her. Best of all, it was on our to Sedona.
The place was Josephine's, in Flagstaff, AZ.



 Tired & hungry from the day at the Canyon, I was with my mom in spirit-it was just what I needed.

 I was doing an April, 30 day photo challange on IG with the "Waterlogue" app and decided my entry for the day would be this unassuming Craftsman Bungalow built in 1911 from native volcanic rock.

Did it make me miss my mom any less? No, not at all, but from the moment I walked in to Josephine's, ate their amazing food, drank delicious wine, I was able to remember my mom in a happier time and place, with her sister, whom she adored.

Happy (heart connection) snapping!
xo
Kelly




P.S. If you go to Josephine's site, the chef posts recipes...just sayin!

16 comments:

  1. Oh wow..is "ROute 66" actually painted on the road like this? AWESOME capture! Pure Americana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the coolest shot of the road...what a great connection with your Aunt at a place that she took your mom. (your not going to believe this but I had an Aunt Mickey too!) New memories made...priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to Josephine's!!! So yummy! Love these photos...and a good road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love road trips! you are making me dream of my next one. thank you for sharing a particularly special one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect photo heart connection to share. And so glad that you did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like your road trip was very rewarding. Love your Waterlogue pic! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely connection, hope you are feeling less heart sore

    ReplyDelete
  8. Route 66! The ultimate road trip. And how wonderful that your aunt told you about the restaurant and that it was on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great trip, Kelly, and how fortunate you were to be able to go to Josephine's.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip and how wonderful you had a chance to stop into a place where your mother had been. Happy anniversary to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad that you felt that connection with your mom. My mom passed away a little over ten years ago. I miss her still, but it does get a little easier. It doesn't mean that you miss them less, you just don't live in that feeling as much. My mom's birthday is May 6. I hope to do a couple of things that day to honor her.

    Your trip sounds like so much fun, and it's so nice that Frankie lets you play along the way. My class starts reading Lucille Fletcher's "The Hitchhiker" this week. If you've never heard of it, it's about a man's solitary drive cross country on Route 66. I start off with a clip from Cars and show them a little of the Route's history.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had such a great time .... a well deserved get-a-way after the year you had last year!!!
    Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Photo-Heart Connection really touches my heart. I'm so glad you were able to feel that spirit connection with your mother. I love the Route 66 shot, and the Waterlogue treatment works beautifully with that bungalow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very touching post... The Great American Road Trip, Route 66! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your story! My mom is 89, turning 90 this year, and one day I will have to bid her goodbye. Your words really touched me. Thank you so much for sharing and the images will remind you always of good days in you mother's life. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful PHC. Love your story. The photo of the road is cool and it sounds like you had a wonderful trip...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. Your comments always put a smile on my face. Hope to see you again real soon.