Saturday, November 26, 2016

I've come a long way...

...baby!
11.26.16

It's cold, gray and the much needed rain is falling~I secretly wish it was cold enough to snow, but in reality I know it won't. I just warmed up my afternoon java and I like thinking you might be sipping something warm and toasty while you visit. 
Today, I'm talking cranberry sauce!


If you asked, I could never pick just one favorite Thanksgiving dish~I truly love them all. However, cranberry sauce is right there at the top my list. I scour Pinterest for new cranberry sauce recipes weeks before the holiday. I really, really like the recipe I've been making the last few years. I mean you can't go wrong with cabernet & a quick twist or two of fresh cracked pepper...It could have easily been the last recipe I ever needed to look for. That was...
 ...until this year. 
In Emeril's words, I kicked it up a notch!


What's great about this recipe is it can be made up to 5 days ahead so if it was awful I still had plenty of time to make my go-to back up recipe. I never gave the 1/2 cup of bourbon that was called for a second thought until it came time to actually stir it in~that's A LOT of bourbon! I poured in half, stood there stirring the bubbly, popping berries and said screw it...and dumped the rest in. Even though the recipe didn't call for it, I added the zest of 1/2 a lemon. I also added a good squeeze of orange along with with some orange zest. 
It was a little jewel at the table & it gets more scrumptious everyday as the flavors meld. 
It brings our turkey sandwiches sandwiches to a whole other level!

I was worried about finding frozen dark cherries as I've never had a reason to buy them. It ended up not being a problem and found them at my regular grocery store.


I have to laugh because as a kid nothing made me happier or more excited then when my mom opened that perfectly ribbed, jiggly, cylindrical tin can of gelatinous goodness!
Yeah...I've come a long way baby...
But hey...I wouldn't trade those days of innocence for anything.

Happy (cranberry) snapping!
xo
Kelly

Cranberry-Cherry Compote

Ingredients

* 20 ounces fresh cranberries
(about 4 1/2 cups)
* 10 ounces frozen dark sweet cherries
(about 2 cups)
* 1 1/4 cups (packed) brown sugar
* 1/2 cup apple cider
* a couple of good twists of fresh black pepper
* 1/2 cup bourbon
* zest of 1/2 lemon (or to taste)
* zest of 1 orange (or to taste)
* good squeeze of  1/2 and orange (or to taste)


Preparation

Bring cranberries, cherries, brown sugar, cider, and pepper to a boil over high heat in a medium saucepan. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, then stir in bourbon. Reduce heat, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring often~pushing fruit against the side of the pan with the back of a wooden spoon to break apart slightly, until think and syrupy, about 25 minutes more. Let cool completely.
Sauce can be made 5 days ahead;cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.

(Adapted from Epicurious)







19 comments:

  1. It's fun to find another cranberry sauce lover, Kelly! I do love it, and experimented with mine this year. However, yours looks and sounds exciting. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was such a fun post to write and I'm excited that others are as passionate about their cranberries as I am!

      Delete
  2. Oh Kelly....I am all about this !! I am definitely going to make it !!
    What a great post. Me, as you, grew up with the canned wiggly jiggly stuff !! Last year I made Turkey Tacos and JalapeƱo Ginger Cranberry Relish !!! Holy Moly ...so good !! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally can see this!!! It sounds fantastic Deb. This is something I'd eat!

      Delete
  3. How many different ways can I say "yum"? Although, I have to admit, we eat the canned stuff. LOL My kids and The Hubs love it. I've made homemade cranberry sauce before and, well, there was almost a coup at the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds amazing, Kelly!
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could eat cranberry sauce by the bowl full :-)
    This recipe sounds yummy and I have put it on my "must make" list.
    Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving my dear friend.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanksgiving is always hectic and busy, but I do love cooking for the family. I hope you had a cozy place to be too D. xo

      Delete
  6. We had a weird cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving. It was too chopped up for my personal taste. I like it chunky. Yours looks very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...I hope you try it. Sorry about your weird cranberry sauce!

      Delete
  7. Mmm, cranberry sauce ... this one looks great, Kelly !
    And you captured all so beautifully !
    Thanks for sharing the recipe :-)
    Have a wonderful week,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia. This was one year that I didn't have to throw any of it out!

      Delete
  8. Hi Kelly, if you can believe it I just started making my own cranberry sauce after years and years of opening a can. My daughter opened my eyes when she taught me how easy it was ... and so much better. Love your gorgeous images as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO crazy easy and there are so many fun and innovative ways to make it! The possibilities are endless!

      Delete
  9. I remember the jiggly can of cranberry sauce, but I wouldn't eat it! Your recipe looks delicious and sounds very good. My sister makes a sweet potato casserole with bourbon, it really adds a nice flavor. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fast and furious Turkey Day but filled with contentment!xo

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. Your comments always put a smile on my face. Hope to see you again real soon.