Thursday, January 12, 2017

Antigua...

...Guatamala
1.12.17

Antigua Guatemala Cathedral
One of the little perks about having a husband who flies for a major airline is every now & again he'll get a trip with a long layover. Sometimes, the stars align and he gets that trip when I'm on a school break. Then the planets align with the stars and there will be an empty seat that wasn't booked and I get to tag along as a stand-by passenger. Because those stars & planets saw fit to line up,  last weekend, I was able to spend 36 hours in the very vibrant Guatemala with my Mr. 
Antigua is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places to photograph~with it's cobblestone streets, Spanish Colonial architecture, and colorful buildings.

On a clear day, you can see the towering Volcan de Agua through the iconic 17th century Santa Catalina Arch. But on this day the clouds just hung around the 12,000+ ft summit and never cleared.


 We asked the locals where we could grab a cup of coffee to take in the view. Cafe Sky provided us the rooftop view of the dormant volcano. Even with the clouds, it didn't stop the view from being any less spectacular. 



Volcan de Agua is one of 37 volcanos that dot the region. 





Texture and color at every turn.




The church of Santa Rosa was built in 1570. Many buildings like this have huge cracks and are crumbling from earthquakes that devastated the region in the 18th century.


Ive already put the bug in The Mr.'s ear that I want to go back. 
There's way more to see and shoot.


 Endearing people, delicious food, full flavored coffee, and a rich history has made Guatemala a   country that has tugged at my heartstrings. Have you ever been taken aback and amazed by a visit to a foreign country that you weren't expecting? Did it tug at your heart like Guatemala did mine? Please share-I'd love to hear about it.

Happy (traveling) Snapping!
xo
Kelly 

Did you miss my 

11 comments:

  1. What an adventure!!!! Such a gorgeous place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I have soooooo enjoyed your photos on Instagram. Just cool! And, yeah, I'd be just sitting at the airport. Waiting. No clothes. No nothing. Just waiting for someone to say "Get on the plane." LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad Daenel-I love taking my peeps with me!! That's pretty much what I do...and s lot of times it's down to the wire-but it's part of the adventure!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful time, Kelly!
    It looks like such a beautiful place and the perfect place to be with a camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every photographer should go to Antigua to play!

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful place. I love all the peeling paint, stones and colors, so much to photograph...and full flavored coffee too! So glad the stars aligned for you. :) The only foreign country I have been to is Italy. I fell in love before we left and was worried it wouldn't live up to my expectations, but it did and I would love to go back. There were so many wonderful things to photograph there and they have good coffee too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every photographer should play in Antigua at least once! Yes....to Italy...and their coffee!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful place, Kelly, so nice you had a great time there !
    Gorgeous photos ... love all those textures and colors !
    Have a lovely week,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every photographer should have a chance to shoot in Antigua Sylvia. Thank you

      Delete
  6. Happy belated Birthday, Kelly ! :-)
    Hope you had a wonderful day ...
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. Your comments always put a smile on my face. Hope to see you again real soon.