Thursday, July 7, 2016

Little Things...

...Thursday
7.7.16
A few great things about day-cations are no long security lines at the airport, no delays or missed connections. They can be planned or totally spontaneous...such as the little jaunt The Mr. and I took last week. He loves all things science so when he suggested a trip down town to the see the Space Shuttle Endeavour...on the train...I was all over that idea!


I don't mind that trains take you along the graffiti infused backsides of cities...that's real life. It doesn't get anymore real than what you see along paint stained surfaces. And it doesn't matter what city or country you are in, real people, with real issues make their marks in this world. I'm not saying it's right, and some of it is actually really good, it's just sad that it's on someones property and not someplace appropriate to be seen by others.


Seeing this magnifecent flying machine up close and personal took my breath away. The enormity of not only the ship, but the entire space program and the people it took to get this beast into space made me proud to be a spectator to it all.


The docent we chatted with had actual samples of different materials that covered the shuttle and the external tank...which is as tall as a 15-story building and burned a half million gallons of liquid propellant in like 8 1/2 minutes!


The Endeavour flew 25 missions with 12 ISS dockings. 


There's just something about space...probably because it's a place you or I will never get to visit and can only wonder about.

I wandered around the rose garden at the Science Center while The Mr. looked at train schedules. 


We had a little time to kill so we grabbed a quick bite to eat and decided to walk back to Union Station to catch our train. We always knew we lived in a bubble world out in the valley and coming into the "real" city just made us realize all the more of safe bubble.

Real life...right here. 



We passed through the oldest part of downtown, Olivera St. It was once the heart of Mexican farming and community life. It's a must if you visit LA. Great authentic food is served here along with vendors and shops that sell all things Latino.

Aztec dancer in the plaza


Have you been on a recent day-cation? I'd love to hear.

Linking up with Kim over at


Happy (day-cation) snapping!
xo
Kelly


14 comments:

  1. Oh Kelly, these are all such wonderful photos! Wonderful day-cation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mitzi...and I think I have YOU to thank for the day-cation idea!

      Delete
  2. I so want to see one of the shuttles!! I was a space junky as a kid (heck, still am!). Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a space junky too Tamar! Hope you get to see one someday. xo

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, I saw an Aztec dancer too but way out here in Pennsylvania! He looked just like this - I wonder if it is the same person. I'll have to check my photos. I bet your day seeing the space shuttle was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca, it was, and I hadn't been to the science center since my son was 9....he's now 20! Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful day! Love seeing you on your travels, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So would it be bad to say that other than the roses, the first graffiti shot is my favorite? Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all. Different photos move people in different ways...that's why photography is an art. Not every photo's gonna be loved! Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  6. So would it be bad to say that other than the roses, the first graffiti shot is my favorite? Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos - we have a great aviation museum near here and for a while there was talk of a space shuttle coming to it, but those plans fell through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great day trip! I think we all would really love seeing a space shuttle up close and personally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful images. I can't imagine seeing the space shuttle. How cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. Your comments always put a smile on my face. Hope to see you again real soon.