Sunday, February 19, 2017

Good, Random...

...Fun
2.20.17

There are colorful signs of spring everywhere.
 Visible in-between the massive amounts of rainy days we've been having are these sweet Grape Hyacinth that bloom every year in my front yard. California isn't out of the drought woods yet, particularly the Central and Southern parts. Hopefully this weather is not an anomaly and will return next winter with even more snow for the Sierras. (The snow pack that is California's biggest and most important water reservoir.)




Random & Fun

I treated the Mr. and I to an ancestry DNA kit.
Growing up, there was a sketchy story my dad could barely remember. Something about the westward expansion and an attack on the party by a Native American tribe who's name he couldn't recall. Many died but miraculously a Native American baby girl survived in a papoose and a party member raised the child and eventually married a male member of my family on my grandmother's side. Like I said, it's sketchy but that's what has survived-Sadly, my grandmother was embarrassed about that part of our family history & would never talk about it. In this topsy-turvy world, I would welcome this information and it is something to be celebrated. I think it's intriguing and I'm hoping to find out if there really is Native American blood coursing through my viens. When I was much younger, I did trace my roots to the late 1700's on my grandfather's side to Ireland and proof of that will be gratifying. My Mr.'s sir name is Kardos, and his dad was 100% Hungarian. Not much is known about his birth mother. I'm curious if there will be any Greek in the breakdown. People ask all the time about the origin of our sir name.


The procedure is really easy.  Register the 15-digit activation code from the collection tube, no eating or drinking for 30 minutes, spit in a tube, release a stabilizing fluid, shake, cap, place in a collection bag and mail it off. Our's goes out in the Tuesday mail and then wait...6-8weeks. We'll get an email when an email when the results are in. Hope you'll stay tuned to find the results!


Do you know your heritage? Have you ever thought about testing your DNA? 
Please share...I'd love to hear.

Happy (DNA) snapping!
xo
Kelly

Sharing over at Tamar's today.

Pssst...did you miss my last post and the big SECRET I revealed?
*disclaimer-I am not being paid by Ancestry to review or promote this product.

18 comments:

  1. The purple is so soft and pretty!
    My sister has gotten so into our genealogy! We may do the kit, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be a little addicting. Thanks for stopping by Tamar. :-)

      Delete
  2. How exciting to learn more about ones ancestry.My husband can track his family back to the 14thcentury. Mine is more a mix of Eastern Europe. Polish,Russian.Hungarian,Jewish and even some Swedish - but I am German. Makes you reflect about Nationalism and borders and that we all share one world.
    Looking forward to your results.How is your son?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the 14th century??!! wow Karen...that's really cool. Thanks for sharing your heritage with me. I agree with your reflection...Thank you for asking about Justin. He's physically getting better everyday, we're still waiting to hear about his poor car. xo

      Delete
  3. Interesting that you are doing the DNA kit. I have thought about it but I'm an Ancestry.com member and have traced my ancestors back to the 1500's. Most all came from France to Canada. Some settled in Nova Scotia (then called Acadia). In fact, some of my ancestors were the first settlers of Nova Scotia (heck, I should save this story for a post). Anyway, there were some surprises. All interesting. I think it's wonderful to look back to see where you came from. Good luck with the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW D...the 1500's? Thats amazing. I do remember you mentioning about your French heritage in the past. I think you should do a post!! Thanks for sharing today D. xo

      Delete
  4. Oh Kelly this is quite interesting, and a topic very near and dear to me. I have been wanting to write a book about this. Hope you have fun finding things out! Intrigue and mystery...makes for a great story. I'll tune back in for sure! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all does make for interesting stories....I'm really excited every time I get an email about a "new leaf"! xo

      Delete
  5. Ohh I have heard of a few people doing the DNA thing recently. I will definitely be interested to read about your results. I know a friend of mine was very surprised by hers

    Mollyx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sticking around for the ride Molly!

      Delete
  6. Excited to hear how your's turns out. I have thought about it, even though I know some of my family's history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sound so interesting Kelly! and I'm loving that Grape Hyacinth ... just love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. Aren't those Grape Hyacinth the cutest?

      Delete
  8. Your spring is beautiful! My maiden name is German, then there is some Scottish mixed in too. I have thought about doing the DNA test, even though I have an idea of my ancestry, it would be fun to see if there were any 'surprises'. Can't wait to hear about your results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your'e sticking around for the results Michelle. xo

      Delete
  9. Those are such a pleasant shade of purple! We are officially out of the drought in Southern California and we have a lawn again for the first time in a couple of years. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where in So. Cal are you living Sharon? We're neighbors!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. Your comments always put a smile on my face. Hope to see you again real soon.