Sunday, January 10, 2016

Change is...

...valued



The older I get, the less I like change, especially when it's thrust upon me and I don't get a say in it. 
But, opening my heart and allowing my word "Mindful" help guide me is helping me accept and actually look forward to changes that will start Monday morning when I go back to work.



If you Google "ALISO CANYON GAS LEAK" you'll see that the city I live in, Porter Ranch, is suffering the affects of the largest natural gas leak in U.S. history. Not since the BP oil spill in 2010, has something been so environmentally damaging. In a nutshell, the leak is pouring out an estimated 50,000 kilograms of methane every hour and is now a quarter of all California's total methane emissions. The mercaptan that is mixed with the gas to make it detectable is causing the air to be filled with a sulfur, rotten egg odor. The leak was reported back in Oct. but I have been smelling the gas since summer. We live less than a 1/2 mile from the leak but our school, along with another neighborhood school, is literally right below the canyon where the wells are. The days leading up to Winter break were grim as parents were pulling their kids from school and relocating as nobody is certain of the long term health affects the cancer causing gas will have on us.


The Governor has declared a state of emergency and LAUSD, our school district, has been hard at work relocating our school as well as Porter Elementary. District workers gave up their winter vacation to ready both schools by building extra bungalows and moving furniture from our home schools to the new sites.

 Just think about it...Your child's school and all that is familiar to them...moved.


So many lives and comforts are being disrupted and morning routines will certainly be challenged. I've been spoiled the last 12 years by only having to drive 5 minutes to work with no traffic. Now? I'll be thrown in with the rest of the working commuters to try and make it to work on time.


But it's all about the kids at this point and I'm pretty sure my word quietly whispered to me before January 1st. I'm ready to face the changes that will undoubtedly be powerful and re-energize my day to be a better educator.


So what do butterflies and a gas leak have in common?
Change...
Socrates said it best:
"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not fighting the old, but on building the new."

I'm plunging in...magnificent, spiritually, show up and be present change.

Happy Snapping!
xo
Kelly





14 comments:

  1. Oh Kelly, I did not know about this ... how distressing! I hope "they" can stop that leak!? In the meantime, blessings to you as you adjust to the changes (and beautiful butterfly images as usual) xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb-went to work today to see the new site-it's amazing what the district has done and the support we are receiving.

      Delete
  2. WOW Kelly...why is this not on the national news??!!?? I did not know any of this. I try to be mindful of the fact that "change" is ultimately a blessing. It means you have options available to you. So happy to hear there are options being utilized to implement this healthy change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how under the radar it is...even locally sometimes. But the district had done a phenomenal job getting the new site up and running.

      Delete
  3. Your wonderful pictures are a world apart from the grim facts you share with us about the leak. How horrible and distressing this must be for everyone involved. Wishing you all the best with the changes and a very good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The district had done an amazing job to accomodate us. Tomorrow the kids arrive!

      Delete
  4. I had no idea, Kelly! But what the people in your school district are doing is laudable. Good luck to you all. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dotti-the district has done an amazing job getting everything up and running-the support is humbling

      Delete
  5. I had no idea! And I watch the news all the time. This is crazy. Saying a prayer for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how under reported this is-even locally most nights. But the district has done amazing job basically building an entire school in 3 weeks

      Delete
  6. Well, this news really saddens me...first it reminds me of the movie Erin Brockovich. Hoping for a good end result for everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverly-and Erin Brockovich is here full force with the lawyers she works with. The new site is amazing-the district has gone above and beyond for us

      Delete
  7. Best wishes as these changes take place. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah-
      The district has taken amazing steps to get us back into the classrooms

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogging world. Your comments always put a smile on my face. Hope to see you again real soon.